Sunday, April 18, 2010

High Performance Leadership - HPL background

Kew Toastmasters 30th Anniversary Celebration meeting  - My HPL project.

For me this toastmasters year was the year to do those leadership tasks towards my "Distinguished Toastmaster" award, and the High Performance Leadership was one of them.  But what to choose as a project.  I initally thought of reserecting the speakers bureau for our district.  So I did a lot of research into this and what was involved.  My conclusion was this was a very worthwhile project but a bad choice for a HPL because the speakers bureau would be an on-going task and probably take up all my available TM time.  It is a much better choice to choose a project that has an exact end time so it is more measureable.

With this in mind I decided to organise Kew Toastmasters 30th Anniversary celebration meeting. I started working on this back in November 09 so I have been a bit slack in bloging it to date. 

Toastmasters International provide a comprehensive High Performance Leadership manual/workbook it also includes work books for your guidance committee.  It gives you some theory on leadership, choosing objectives, setting missions and core values and sharing your vision.  There are intervals through the book where sign off is to be done by the guidance committee. The manual gives you a methodology you could use but it may not suit all projects.  I think the value is to read the manual and follow it as long as it adds value to your process, but work closely with your guidance committee, keep them informed of progress, keep the project running successfully.

So with manual in hand, project chosen and guidance committee of two experienced members I started.

No comments: